Moving the Supreme Ordeal

I'm getting towards the end of my edit of Panthera : Death Song, and I think I'm going to have to do some restructuring, despite having created a detailed chapter plan before I started to write.

I think I've put my Supreme Ordeal too early.  The Supreme Ordeal in a story should be the moment of biggest danger.  There's plenty of that in the story I've written, but then I have a dozen chapters after this big moment.  That's too long for a denouement, and I think I'll have to move some of it to before my big adventure.

The structure I use to keep my books on track comes from Christopher Vogler's The Writer's Journey, which is based on Joseph Campbell's mythology work.  It's great to have a framework to use that allows you to stand back from the narrative and analyse it in an objective way.  I can see if I've put in too much for the Ordinary World before the adventure begins, whether I've thrown in enough Tests for my characters to face, or whether my Supreme Ordeal is in the right place.

So today's task will be to edit those last dozen chapters, but also to work out where I can move them to earlier in the narrative.  Hmm.  Sounds like a challenging day ahead.

Comments

Popular Posts