Withdrawal

One of the side effects of getting involved in debates about the state of SF and representation of women in publishing is that it's left me exhausted and with a temporary sense of hopelessness.

I've got to the stage where I'm thinking that, if sexism is so prevalent in the genre I love, why do I keep writing it?  Why do I keep banging my head against that proverbial brick wall?

When things get to this stage it's time for a writer to withdraw from the fray for a while. It's time to go to our testimonials file and re-read the nice things people have said about our work. It's time to celebrate the successes we have had, feel again the joy when someone says "I loved your book".

When I withdraw into myself like this I realise that writing is in my blood.  It's who I am, as well as being what I do with my days.  I write because I have thoughts, viewpoints, and stories I want to get out into the world.

I write because other writers aren't saying the things I want to say about the world.  I write because I must get my views out into the world.  I write because I an unique,  I have a unique voice, and a unique view of life.  My voice is one of a kind, special, and valuable. My voice and views are every bit as valid as anyone else's, and just as deserving of being heard.

Withdrawal reminds me of all this.  It gives me time to re-group, to lick my wounds from the latest rejection, to garner the strength to re-enter the uncaring world.  If we are to preserve our voices and visions as writers periodic withdrawal from "real life" is essential.

Comments

Popular Posts