Staying true to the vision

Last week I had the experience of sitting between my two beta readers as they went through the manuscript of Panthera : Death Song.

Most of the things they suggested I change were common sense.  Repeated words, the odd comma missing in a strategic place, a couple of missed typos.  I also had a couple of continuity problems because I'd deviated from my chapter plan and changed some chapter endings.  This turned out to be a bad idea in a novel with five viewpoints and interweaving narrative strands.

Those things were fine, but things didn't stop there.  One of my readers wanted to change what one of the characters was saying.  She wanted to make the novel more 'balanced'.  But the point wasn't to be balanced, it was to make a point about encroachment on wildlife reserves.  I didn't want to narrative to be 'balanced' at that point.

A couple of other changes that I didn't agree with were suggested.  And that was the point where I, as the author, had to stand firm.  I had to stay true to my vision for the book.  To me, this is one of the advantages of self-publishing.  I get to tell whatever story I wish in my way.  

If I were being paid by a mainstream publisher for my work I'd have to take notice of such suggested changes.  But even there I think there are limits.  If a publisher offered me a contract for a book they'd read in its entirety I'd expect them to be happy with the basic concept of the book.  I wouldn't expect them to suggest I change my characters' beliefs and values.

What would be deal breakers for me?  Top of the list would be suggesting that I turn my heroines into sexy girlies.  That's a no-no, and always will be.  My heroines are professional women.  They're too busy getting on with their work and being successful to worry about the sexy girlie thing.  I also would be unlikely to agree to any changes that put my female characters on a lesser level than a male.  I may not be able to control sexism and discrimination in the real world, but I sure as hell can in the worlds of my stories.

I've been writing for over forty years.  I know who I am by now, and more importantly I know who my characters are, and what they stand for.  I've clarified my vision of the world, and my writing reflects that.  And I will always stay true to the vision in my stories.

Comments

Popular Posts