The English aren't exotic - time for some reverse diversity?

Reading through publishers' guidelines again this week, I've noticed there's now a big emphasis on wanting diversity in stories.  This is definitely a good thing, and under-represented voices definitely need to be heard, but my worry is that the focus on diversity by English publishers may mean they overlook stories written by white English authors who aren't deemed exotic enough.

I've seen so many blurbs for books recently which praise the exoticness of the author, his or her culture, and country of birth.  And yes, learning about others' cultures can question and challenge us and we can learn a great deal from them.  But we can also learn a lot and be questioned and challenged by examining our home-grown, white western culture and its faults, prejudices and foibles.

Diversity in SF has become the hot topic recently.  But here's the thing: diverse writing includes writing from everyone, including white English authors, writers writing in their native language in their native land.  Our work is no less valuable because it deals with a culture close to home and familiar.

When diversity is mentioned, it sometimes seems like it's couched in terms of 'we want to hear from anyone other than white straight English males'.  I've got two objections to this.  Firstly, white straight English males are part of a diverse world too.  Their world views are just a valid as anyone else's.

My second objection is to being defined on the basis of my sexuality.  I can imagine someone out there labelling me as a white straight woman.  But labelling people on the basis of their perceived sexuality misses the fact that some of us, me included, simply don't see the world in sexual terms.  I don't damn well care what a writer's sexuality is.  I'm interested in the story they tell, whether it's authentic, and true to who they are.  I want to see a story that reflects what they believe in and value.

So, English publishers, be clear that diversity includes not only people of colour, people from different and exotic lands, but also White English people writing about their own lands and culture.  Our own history, our own mythology, can be just as exotic as anyone else's.  

Comments

Popular Posts