Plopantser. - an intuitive middle way

Writers are always being asked "Do you plot your books first, or do you write by the seat of your pants?"  In my early years I was a pantser.  Later as I got more serious I became a plotter.  The last half dozen novels had fully worked out chapter plans before I started.  I knew which character had the narrative thread, and what he or she was doing to move the story forward.

But as I worked my way through the plan, translating its flat statement of what happens into the living prose of the story, I saw things I needed to change.  My plot outline often ended the chapter in the wrong place.  When I came to write the action I found it often went on beyond the point of the strongest cliffhanger.  So I altered the chapter plan.  The typed script is full of notes like "move to chapter twelve" etc.  The chapter plan told me what was coming next, but I had the flexibility to tweak it when I got down to writing.

In the book I'm currently writing I've become a plopantser, a hybrid of both approaches.  I'm rewriting a fifteen year old manuscript that is, in effect, a finished first draft.  There's a lot I like about it, but a lot I don't too.  When I started to write I thought I needed a chapter plan, but I abandoned it a few chapters in.  Now I'm being a plopantser.  I'm using the original manuscript for my storyline,  but adding characters, their backgrounds, and motivations,

The story revolves around a series of sabotage and murder attempts on a orbital shipyard.  Originally I have five different bad guys, some of them with weak motivations.  That always bothered me.

So now I've unified those criminal activities against the backdrop of an old inter-species war and the motivation of revenge.  My experiment in plopantsing is going well so far.

Comments

Popular Posts