The offputting blurb

There are many books by women science fiction authors which I would love to read, but which are never stocked by my local store.  Yes, I know I could order those books online, but that makes browsing a book difficult. 

If I want to research an unknown book on-line, I have to put a fair bit of effort into logging onto websites, clicking endless pages to find the book I want, then expanding the blurb text.  And if I want to know what the writing's like I have to click on Look Inside and squint at the text,  which is sometimes not expandable.  It's actually a lot of effort.  I much prefer being able to pick up the physical paperback in the bookshop.  Then I can see the book's cover in all its glory, as it is meant to be seen.

But once I've checked out the cover I'm going to turn the book over and check out the blurb.  And this is the first make or break point in the buying decision.  I've come across many blurbs on SF books which have been, frankly, totally unintelligible.

You know the sort of thing I mean.  The first paragraph mentions a character with an unpronounceable name who is running away from the Nexus/Matrix/Web/Conglomeration or a whole host of other words that don't mean a lot right now.  The second paragraph refers to an different character with another unpronounceable name who is working for a different unknown organisation.  And the third paragraph mentions some impending disaster which might or might not have anything to do with characters one and two.  What does that all mean?

Okay, I'm exaggerating a little.  But not much.  And sometimes these blurbs have the opposite effect from the intended purpose.  Their complexity puts me off the book.  Then there are the blurbs that put me off because they contain trigger words and ideas.  Sex, sex bot, concubine, sexy, are some sure-fire turnoff words.  Bloody, vicious, dark, are others.  These are not worlds I wish to enter.

All this is especially relevant right now because this week was a round of #PitMad, the Twitter pitching contest, and I've been spending some time honing my pitches for my current work.  It's got me wondering if the lack of those words which trigger me is something which will put off an agent.  

I guess there's no way of knowing save sending the work out there. 

Comments

Popular Posts