The cure for jealousy is action

This week I've had a dose of the grumps, brought on by the green-eyed monster jealousy.  It's all those authors on Twitter excitedly announcing that they've just signed with an agent.  They triggered a dose of 'Who the hell are they to get an agent when I can't?' snarls.  But the thing is, I'm not actually sending stuff out to agents right now. So how the hell can I expect to be signed by one if they don't even know that I and my work exist?  

I've fallen prey to this jealousy by inaction several times.  I've had bursts of jealousy when people announce they've won some competition or other.   Why couldn't it be me?  Er... Maybe because I didn't even enter the competition?  Many times I've looked at them and thought 'Nah!  Not worth losing the entry fee.'  Sometimes when I've looked up the judges and found that they write cosy romances I've made that decision on an informed basis,  I've spent too many years in manuscript groups being told my science fiction was 'nice' or 'interesting' by cosy romance writers why didn't have a clue what I was writing about,

But sometimes I've done what magazine editors are always scolding us not to do.  I've self-rejected by not entering a competition or anthology that does welcome my kind of story.  And right now I'm facing another urge to self-reject.  I have a new novel about to go out on submission to agents.  But the thing is, there's only a dozen or so agents in the UK who represent SF.  And I've already sent most of them five or six of my previous novels, which have mostly received the infuriating 'not for me' rejections.  So  I'm thinking it's a waste of time sending them this new novel, because if they've shown no interest in my work before, why would they now?

I have to fight that thought and get sending out again.  I have to remind myself that each novel is a different project, and that an agent is only looking at that particular project.  And I do know of at least one agent who took a writer on after repeated rejections and submissions.

And something has changed this time.  I'm reluctantly engaging with the diversity and sexuality issues which are so hot in SF right now. VI've stated up front that my main characters are aromantic asexuals, and I've emphased the diversity of my characters.

Now it's time for action.  I'm busily updating my agent information, and will be sending out my first batch of subs of the new novel next week.  Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. Admitting to bouts of the green-eyed monster is taboo but certainly true! I know exactly what you mean and if it gives you a good kick up the backside to get your stuff out there too, actually it's not a bad thing. Just a human thing. I've experienced exactly the same thing recently and I'm going to try and morph that sickly jealousy feeling into something constructive and feed into my own work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts