Keeping up the momentum

On Monday of this week I did a social event with one of my writing groups via Zoom.  This time last year the group spent a lazy sunny Sunday afternoon and evening in a member's large garden, chatting and laughing face to face.  This year's was very different, with just a handful of us interacting via our computer screens.

Doing a social event via Zoom isn't a good subtitute.  You can't achieve the usual flow of conversation when one person has to speak at a time. As an introvert, I miss those quiet little side conversations I'd have with one other introvert, where we'd go deep into a subject.  But it was better than isolation, and we did spent some time talking about writing.

I've done a couple of spoken word events with them so far, and have another one coming up in two weeks' time.  We use the same format as we do for in-person events, with a line-up of speakers each having a four minute slot.  It allows the group to keep going, to keep the faith, and to believe that, some day, the good times when we can meet in person will return.

Havant Writers' Circle has a retreat day planned for early October.  Now that community centres have re-opened, and community interest groups can meet again, we're all really looking forward to getting together for the first time for six months.  My friend Carol Westron has been keeping the group supplied with fortnightly writing challenges, but it's not the same as our full programme.  Normally we have a guest speaker, we'd do some in-house workshops, maybe a themed instant writing exercise, and our frequent manuscript critiquing evenings.  But all that's on hold for now.

My writing support group has managed to keep going, initially by Zoom, more recently by meeting outside.  We met again yesterday, but there were only four of us as two of the members now have new work commitments during the day.  We're about to reinvent ourselves as an evening group so that everyone can come.

Another writing group is still completely on hiatus, and a writing project I'm involved with has also managed to hold meetings by Zoom.  Somehow, we've kept going, but it's not enough.  I really can't wait for the day when all my writing groups are meeting together in person again.  They are the basis of my social life, and for months that's been taken from me.  

I know that, sometime, this too will pass, but there are days when it's difficult to keep up the momentum.


Comments

Popular Posts