Beware of the feedback

 A few days ago I received a short story rejection from one of the big SF mags.  It read “this story does not work for me.”. That got me thinking about some of the feedback I’ve had for my stories over the years, and how important it is to evaluate it with a critical eyes.

The feedback I’ve had for my short stories and novels over the years has been… let’s say varied..  There was the woman I’d never met before who tried to totally destroy me in a con critiquing group by saying “I cannot believe in anything about this novel.” I think she expected me to burst into tears at that point.  Instead, I thanked her politely for her feedback - and consigned her written critique to the bin unread.

That’s a classic example of destructive feedback, and it’s something we writers should try and avoid if possible.  That incident was over five years ago and I’d been writing for over thirty years by then. I’d already had many critiques of my work from many different groups.  I’d had enough feedback to know that I can write, and that other people do believe in my work.  So this destructive woman made no impression in me.  I’ve just made sure I never come into contact with her again.  But if I was a new writer just starting out that kind of feedback could’ve been devastating.  It’s enough to make a new writer stop writing for ever.

We have to gain the confidence as writers to know which feedback to take notice of - and which comments are utter rubbish.  When I was teaching adult ed I used to tell my students that, if six people tell you the same thing is wrong, then there is a problem and you need to fix it.   But if six people tell you six different things don’t work, then it’s your call as the writer to decide which comments you take on board and which you reject.

Many years ago at Havant Writers’ Circle two of the members nearly came to blows arguing about one of my pieces.  One insisted that a sentence be removed, the other that it should stay.  I can’t remember what the comment was about now, but it just showed me how feedback is a very personal thing.

I’ve submitted over 90 short stories to magazines this year.  Many of the rejections have praised the stories they weren't buying,  Only this one editor gets my back up with their comments.  One response was: “This didn’t go where I thought it would.”. Any prizes for guessing what that means?  I haven’t a clue.

I’ve come to think that the bland “not for us” rejection is preferable to the infuriating feedback comments I’ve sometimes received which I absolutely disagree with.  After all, all I really want is a yes or no.

Comments

Popular Posts