Enter the prostitute = close the book

I've recently failed to finish two SF books that were both by award winning authors.  Both had intriguing set-ups, richly detailed worlds, and great pace.  Both stories drew me in willingly to the complex worlds that their authors had created.

So why did I stop reading?  Because, having established the story, both authors introduced their first female character.  In one case the woman was an ex-prostitute now making a living as a mercenary.  In the other, the woman was currently being abused as a prostitute.  I wasn't willing to accept either of these visions.  It really worries me that agents and editors thought these books were the future.

I worry about the lack of vision in the future.  In our present-day world there are many examples of women in powerful roles. A selection that come to mind are: British Prime Minister, head of one of the Uk's spy agencies, CEOs of FTSE 100 companies, senior research scientists, astronauts, and commanders of spaceships.  So when I look around me today I see a lot of powerful women at the tops of their careers.  So why did agents and editors think that this abuse was acceptable?

What happened to this equal chance of achievement between now and the future these authors were writing about?  Why aren't women visible in strong roles in their stories?  I'm not willing to accept visions where we get disenfranchised - yet again.  Not my story.

Everything in the universe is energy.  We get more of what we focus on.  So to me it's important not to give energy to situations and stories that abuse women.  Some of the books I've set aside are Hugo and Nebula award winners.  Which raises worrying questions about the minds of the readers who voted for those works.  Why did they think it was okay to treat women in that way?

Both books by the male authors had dazzling concepts at their heart, and in one case dazzling tech.  But that's not enough.  Stories are about people.  And right now, women make up 51% of those people.  We're not a minority, we're a majority, and there's no reason to suspect that won't continue into the future.  We are half the human race, and I expect  my views to be acknowledged.

So I'm done with books that see me as a powerless victim with no choices.  I'll leave those stories behind and focus my precious energy on stories that respect women.  And vote for them in the Hugos too.

Comments

Popular Posts