Editing headache

I thought my edit of Eyemind would be easy.  I always print off a paper copy of my manuscripts and keep them neatly filed.  Every time I edit a chapter I print out a copy of the edited text and file it in there.

Or so I thought, until I came to edit Eyemind again.  I'm really wanting to submit it for the Angry Robot open reading period, and until I started actually typing up the current round of edits I thought that would be a breeze.  But... since I did the last bit of work on it  my old PC has died and I've bought a new shiny laptop.  I back up everything onto an external hard disk, so all I had to do was plug inn the disk to my laptop and transfer the files.

Hah hah!  I got as far as working on chapter three when I realised that my paper copy and the file on- screen didn't match at all.  No way.  So instead of the edit being an easy job of just changing my longhand revisions to the text I'm having to add whole sections from the manuscript copy.

It's a lesson to us all to make sure we keep our precious words safe.

Comments

Popular Posts