Falling In love with FEM-SF again

I'm seeing something of a renaissance in the SF genre in the UK now.  For years when I went into my local friendly bookshop and browsed the SF shelves I saw no new SF written by women . Until recently, the only books on the SF shelves bearing  women's author names were fantasy. 

I've  nothing against fantasy, I just don't write it.  I write SF.  SF with strong female leads that explores the consequences of technology rather than inventing some stunning new tech.

Now at last I'm beginning to see a change.  Publishers are beginning to see that the crossover books they've been so busy thumbing their noses at for the last few years have exciting things to say.  My books have always had strong crimes along with their SF, and I'm delighted to see that future crime is now welcome.  

I want to see a return to the golden days of books like CJ Cherryh's The Pride of Chanur, Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed, Joan D Vinge's The Snow Queen, and Katherine Kerr's Polar City Blues.  Great books with great women characters seeing the world from a woman's point of view. So how about it, publishers?  Time to get really brave and launch FEM-SF, SF written by women specially for women

Comments

Popular Posts