Once more with feeling

I'm thinking about character emotions today, and about the way I show them in my writing.  Are your characters introverts or extroverts?  That will greatly affect the way they respond to the world.

Panthera : Death Spiral starts with the line 'Ren looked down at the three little bodies and sighed.'  I then go on to say that this is the third set of dead kingcat cubs she's investigated in three months.  I was trying to convey Ren's feeling of powerlessness.  She doesn't know what's going on and can't protect these endangered cats.

Characters need emotions to come alive.  I learned a good way to do this from author Crysse Morrison.  She suggests that we interview our characters, asking them searching questions.  Ask them: who do you love most?  What's your most precious possession?  What's your greatest fear?  What's your greatest secret?  

The answers to these questions will show you who your character is.  You will know from the answers how your character will respond in any situation, and will find it easy to show their reactions.

Comments

Popular Posts